American Bobby Finke defends Olympic gold in swimming's 1,500 meters, breaking the world record.
France's Nanterre Bobby Finke had no intention of breaking the world record in the men's 1,500-meter freestyle final. Additionally, the 24-year-old American swimmer had no intention of taking it out quickly.
He was aware that he was Team USA's only opportunity to win a gold medal in the men's individual Olympic competition at the Paris Games, therefore he decided to defend his title from the Tokyo Games in 2021. With the exception of the 1980 boycotted Games, it would have been the first time since 1900 that American men had exited the Olympics without winning an individual swimming gold medal.
Really, I'm just thrilled that I won, Finke remarked. "I was under a lot of pressure before the race."
In the longest race in the pool, the two-time Olympian immediately took the lead on the opening lap and never gave it up, capturing his second 1,500 free Olympic gold and creating a world record in the process.
"A few times, I could see the world record line on the board," he remarked. It wasn't as though I made an effort to see it. It happened to catch my eye.
Olympic medals for 2024: Who has won the most? Join us as we monitor the medal standings in each sport.
Interactive image: Desire to prepare like an Olympian? Take a look at this professional advise first.
"A few times, I could see the world record line on the board," he remarked. It wasn't as though I made an effort to see it. It happened to catch my eye.
Olympic medals for 2024: Who has won the most? Join us as we monitor the medal standings in each sport.
Interactive image: Desire to prepare like an Olympian? Take a look at this professional advise first.
With a winning time of 14:30.67, he beat the world mark of 14.31.02 set by Sun Yang of China in 2012 by almost half a second. Gregorio Paltrinieri of Italy won silver in a time of 14.34.55, while Daniel Wiffen of Ireland earned bronze in 14.39.63.
Wiffen claimed, "I knew he was going to change his tactics; the only thing was, I didn't see it." "I was looking in that direction, but [Paltrinieri] body-blocked me."When I finally noticed and witnessed [his] leg kick, I thought, "Oh, okay, this is going to be a really painful 1,500 for me."
At the 300-meter point, Finke noticed that he could also see his "pretty decent" lead, so he continued to dig. He claimed that maintaining the pace he sets out at is preferable for him since it is "easier and a lot less stressful" than trying to increase his advantage with every 100.
However, he had no intention of wasting it either.
Wiffen claimed, "I knew he was going to change his tactics; the only thing was, I didn't see it." "I was looking in that direction, but [Paltrinieri] body-blocked me."When I finally noticed and witnessed [his] leg kick, I thought, "Oh, okay, this is going to be a really painful 1,500 for me."
At the 300-meter point, Finke noticed that he could also see his "pretty decent" lead, so he continued to dig. He claimed that maintaining the pace he sets out at is preferable for him since it is "easier and a lot less stressful" than trying to increase his advantage with every 100.
However, he had no intention of wasting it either.
"I realized I just needed to keep moving forward and hopefully cause some pain to the guys who were attempting to catch up to me," Finke remarked. "As they caught up to me, I began to feel a bit anxious...
"I was maybe a body length [ahead] at that 300 mark. I couldn't let go of this right now. After I do all the running down, I can't be the man who gets run down. In my opinion, that was also a significant element.
Apparently, he didn't push it too hard, as evidenced by his 26.27-second last 50, which was faster than his 28- and 29-second 50s for the most of the mile.
"I was maybe a body length [ahead] at that 300 mark. I couldn't let go of this right now. After I do all the running down, I can't be the man who gets run down. In my opinion, that was also a significant element.
Apparently, he didn't push it too hard, as evidenced by his 26.27-second last 50, which was faster than his 28- and 29-second 50s for the most of the mile.
Finke also placed second in the men's 800 freestyle in these Games, behind Wiffin, and took home gold in both the men's distance events at the Tokyo Olympics in 2021.
"I felt let down following the 800. Finke continued, "I truly wanted to defend that medal too.
Thus, I was desperate to stand atop the platform once more and listen to the national anthem one more, just as I had done when I first heard it in Tokyo. Thus, it was a dream to be able to listen to it and give my heart over.
"I felt let down following the 800. Finke continued, "I truly wanted to defend that medal too.
Thus, I was desperate to stand atop the platform once more and listen to the national anthem one more, just as I had done when I first heard it in Tokyo. Thus, it was a dream to be able to listen to it and give my heart over.
Comments
Post a Comment